USA Today cites Taos as nation’s best.
Taos (the town) and Taos Ski Valley (the mountain resort) are connected by a narrow 18-mile canyon road, but that didn’t stop USA Today readers from naming Taos the best ski town in the land. I like Taos as much as anyone, but it really doesn’t feel like a “ski town” — and with the recent developments at the resort, both on the mountain and at the base of the lifts, that vote seems even more far-fetched.
Taos has a fine historic plaza and a great hotel right there, good galleries, terrific places to eat and a nearby pueblo that ranks as one of the country’s longest continuously inhabited communities. But a ski town? Not really. Did someone stuff the ballot box?
Upon contemplation, I think not. The Tahoe area resorts are many miles from #2 Reno and somewhat closer to $5 Truckee. Even the town of Jackson and the resort of Jackson Hole are not contiguous. Maybe USA Today readers don’t like to ski. Just a thought.
10 Best Ski Towns
- Taos, N.M.
- Reno, Nev.
- Whitefish, Mt.
- North Conway, N.H.
- Truckee, Calif.
- Crested Butte, Colo.
- Jackson Hole, Wyo.
- Stowe, Vt.
- Steamboat Springs, Colo.
- Breckenridge, Colo.
And for what it’s worth
10 Best Ski Resorts
- Squaw Valley Alpine Meadows – Olympic Valley, Calif.
- Sugarbush Resort – Warren, Vt.
- Big Sky Resort – Big Sky, Mont.
- Alta – Alta, Utah
- Crested Butte Mountain Resort – Crested Butte, Colo.
- Deer Valley Resort – Park City, Utah
- Revelstoke Mountain Resort – Revelstoke, British Columbia
- Killington Resort – Killington, Vt.
- Steamboat Resort – Steamboat Springs, Colo.
- Whistler Blackcomb – Whistler, British Columbia